This is a “New England” style clam chowder but I have cut back the amount of cream a lot in comparison to other recipes.
Razor Clam Chowder
2# Diced White Onions
1/3# Diced Celery
2/3# Bacon, cut into lardoons
2.6oz AP Flour
1/4C Sherry Wine
1# Chopped razor clams
- In a large soup pot place the bacon over low-medium heat. Slowly cook the bacon until the fat has separated from the meat.
- Add the vegetables and cook until transparent, about 8 minutes.
- Add the butter and melt. Then add the flour and mix to create a roux. Cook the roux for 15 minutes over the low-medium heat, if it begins to change colors reduce the heat slightly.
- Whisk in the Sherry wine and chicken stock to ensure that it doesn’t create lumps; then add cream and bring to a simmer, whisking periodically to prevent sticking.
- Add chopped clams and simmer for another five minutes then season to your liking.
When I made this dish, I under seasoned it and topped it with a toasted pumpkin seed pesto that was slightly over seasoned. When you mix it into the chowder it balances out very nicely.